Holiday season is just about in full swing and this being the first weekend of December means it’s likely the first major weekend of company holiday parties. Good luck with that. I don’t do company holiday parties. After all, I spend all week with my coworkers…why would I want to spend my Saturday night with them too? Would much rather spend it with the family.
Well, before you head off to your company party, I bring you my weekly random thoughts and recap.
- Today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance day. If you know a vet from back then spend some time with them. Get them to tell you some stories from the day. There aren’t many vets from back then left, so take advantage of that time while you’ve got it. Plus, their stories, exaggerated like Si’s on Duck Dynasty or not, are always way interesting.
- Last weekend I embarked my yearly Clark Griswold impersonation by cutting my tree and putting up the Christmas lights on the house. And, I didn’t even fall off the roof!
- This year, when I take down the lights I vow to put them back in the bin in a much more organized manner for next year.
- I heard somewhere that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announce that duchess is expecting a baby. Now remind me, which Khardasian is the Duchess again?
- I’ve got a new game for you. It’s called Guess the Boss. Ready? Based on these statements, guess which one the boss is:
a) I do email only a couple of times a week.
b) Wait you are yelling at me for not answering an email that you sent 5 minutes ago?
- The topic du jour is the Fiscal Cliff. So, I bring you: The Fiscal Cliff For Dummies.
OR, Schoolhouse Rock For Adults.
- So let’s get this straight. People leave the company. I get more work to do. I don’t get paid more. But, I should be happy that I have my job. All the while, the government, which has doubled in the last decade (read about it), decides they need to tax me more to pay for all their growth. Did I mention I’m not making any more?
Makes sense I guess.
- This may be one of my favorite Onion headlines and videos ever:
Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show A Hit Among People Who Don’t Know That Pornography Exists
- I am so beyond sick of this country’s attitude that God forbid (oh wait, I’m sorry Gosh forbid) we offend someone. And, that we need to be sensitive to everyone.
Witness Exhibit A: Church Calls Off ‘Charlie Brown’ Christmas Show Amid Controversy “A parent who felt the trip was inappropriate reached out to the ASF to voice her concern with the show’s religious connotations, which reportedly differed from her own, the station learned. From there, a campaign was launched to cancel the class trip.”
So…”A Parent”…1 freaking parent, had an issue, and the school bent over backward to be sensitive to that parent’s, and subsequent group’s, issues.
The group took offense to a planned trip to a church.
If someone took offense to a planned trip to a synagog or a mosque they would be labeled as insensitive and/or racist.
Ugh, excuse me while I smash my head on my desk.
I can’t help but wonder if this person/group has ever seen A Charlie Brown Christmas. I mean after all it’s about acceptance and Charlie’s feeling that the holiday has become over commercialized.Perhaps people should chill out, watch Charlie Brown and take it for what it’s worth – a classic part of American culture.
And maybe, just maybe, expand their overly sensitive horizons.
- And, on the lighter side of things, no matter what generation or culture you are from, as a man, wearing mom jeans and a ton of 1970’s cologne will never be in style. Yes, I’m looking at you Cubicle George.
Have a great weekend and have fun at your company’s holiday party. I won’t be there. I’ll be hanging out with my family and friends while enjoying a cocktail or five. Cheers.