I’ve been writing this little ol’ blog now for what…hmm, coming up on a year and a half. When I started it, I thought maybe I’d stick with it for a couple months than get distracted by something shinier. Or, maybe more accurate, I’d write a few posts, realize that no one out there was reading any of it and find something shinier to distract me.
But, low and behold, I realized something. I like writing! Which is nuts since back in my school days I hated writing.
More surprising…people started reading my posts. OK, in truth I have no idea if they really read them, but I got “hits” so somehow they find it at least. And, my daily stats were slowly climbing.
Must get more views! Must write more!
And, over time, as the views grew so did the blogger crack – aka comments from readers.
Must get people to comment! Must write more!
While I still love my stats and get all hot and bothered when I see a new notification of a comment, there’s one thing that still truly is better than any of that (not that you should stop viewing and commenting mind you)…and that is recognition by another writer that they like your stuff. Especially writers that I’ve read and admired.
Monday I was sitting in some random meeting, or as my son would say, “it was boring as butt” and my trusty companion (iPhone) buzzed telling me I had a new WordPress comment.
It’s like the equivalent of a strung out druggie who hasn’t had a fix in a long time seeing his trusty dealer a across the street.
Grab phone. Ignore bossman talking about something that I need to deliver by Wednesday and read!
What follows is a true story. The names haven’t been changed, because 1) his name is plastered all over his site and 2) I’m anonymous so why would I change it?
Hey there, CV —
I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your work and, because of that, I’m shining a little recognition on you by nominating your for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award….
-Ned (from Ned’s Blog)
Ned? Holy crap. NED!
Umm what bossman? Yeah sure I’ll have that report for you on Wednesday. Yes, bossman I’ll use the right cover sheet. <Christ!>
NED!!! He’s the dude with the funniest picture on the banner of his blog. The look on that kid’s face is freaking hilarious. It makes me laugh out loud – OUT LOUD – every time I see it.
So, yes, dear old Ned, the Ned from Ned’s Blog (creative name btw), Ned with the pic of the kid freaking out on a roller coaster Ned has given me an award as a Very Inspiring Blogger.
Wait. Is this a positive type of inspiration, i.e. I inspired him to new heights (or at least made him giggle) or is it a negative type of inspiration, i.e. I inspired him to get all nutty and go on some pilgrimage to Iran?
I’m going with the former.
Turns out he likes my writing (clearly he’s on some form of medication for what he calls “explosive flu blowback“…don’t ask) and gave me the Very Inspiring Blogger award. Woot!
So first off, Ned, of the awesome picture on your blog site Ned, thank you. I’ve read your stuff for some time now and really, really like it. Second, thank you for the award. Third, if I’m inspiring you to some form of evil, everyone please know that I had nothing to do with it and please don’t hold me responsible!
Turns out this award comes with rules. Dear Ned, you should know I do not like rules. Just ask Kelly over at Naked Girl in a Dress.
So, let’s get to it. Don’t want to break the rules when I’m being honored do I?
First off, I’m told I need to post 7 interesting things about myself.
7…AND interesting? Really? Hmmm…
- I love music and concerts. I’ve seen AC/DC to ZZ Top and many in between. The top 3 performers I’ve seen multiple times: Rush, Lyle Lovett and Oingo Boingo (highly recommend Danny Elfman and the boys if they ever come back).
- If I could be any fictional bad ass character I’d be Mitch Rapp. Read the series…you’ll understand.
- I like wine (Red…it’s a type and like Sammy Hagar sang, “Red, Red, I like red…”. And, I like whiskey – not that cheap Beam or Jack stuff – but the second tier stuff – Woodford’s or Gentleman Jack (hey, it’s not like I’m rich!).
- I try to work out 3-4 days a week. I love the feeling after I’ve worked out. No, not that endorphin rush that others talk about. I love the fact that I’ve burned a ton of calories which in turn means I can eat a ton more!
It’s all about balance really.
- There’s nothing more that I’d rather do than watch my kids excel at the things they love to do.
- I often think of running for a political office to make a difference. But, then the whiskey buzz wanes and I realize that would be more futile than sitting in a 6×8 polyester cell 5 days a week.
- When I started this blog, Mrs. CV said, “just don’t embarrass me.” Well, to the best of my knowledge I haven’t completely embarrassed her yet due to this blog. However, I know I’ve completely embarrassed her elsewhere though.
And, the other “rule” was to present this award to other writers that I find inspiring. I’ll let them decide if it’s a good type of inspiration or bad type of inspiration.
- Free Penny Press
- The Better Man Project
- The Manwife Chronicles
- Stream of the Conscious
- The Bloggess
- Working Tech Mom
- Naked Girl in a Dress
- The Last Word
Enjoy these folks. They all have different things to offer. Some are funny. Some are serious. Some are compilations of writers. All are good.